Job Title: Horticulture Intern
Reports to: Horticulture Supervisor
Hours: Full or part time – BGO will accommodate class schedules to the best of their ability.
Principal Areas of Training Provided
- Care of diverse plantings of trees, shrubs, vines, perennials, tropicals, grasses and annuals.
- Hard skills including but not limited to pruning, plant propagation (sexual and asexual), mulching, fertilizer application, Integrated Pest Management and fertigation.
- Use and maintenance of equipment and tools needed to perform daily tasks.
- Hand watering and monitoring irrigation of plantings, especially during time of establishment and drought.
- How to be a good representative of a public garden.
- Various other duties.
Education, Training, and Traits
- Attending a University
- High School diploma or GED
- Possess a strong commitment to horticulture and team work.
- Highest ethics as they relate to all aspects of business.
- Previous horticulture experience preferred (may be volunteer). Can include retail nursery, farming, gardening, or other horticulture related fields.
Skills and Abilities
- Good communication skills are required as this person will be working on a small team.
- Ability to work independently, with initiative and as a team player.
- Strong ability to work under pressure and with time constraints.
- This position requires sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, reaching and strenuous lifting/moving objects repeatedly up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions – extreme heat and cold.
This is an unpaid internship as we are a small non-profit. We will do our best to work around your schedule.
If you’re interested in applying, please send your resume directly to me at email@example.com.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.